By Sherron Renay Bailey
When someone mentions Prentiss, Mississippi, most people immediately think of the town in Jefferson Davis County. It has been the county seat for generations and remains a thriving community today.
But did you know there was another Prentiss?
Long before the present-day town became a familiar name in south Mississippi, another Prentiss stood nearly 250 miles away in Bolivar County, overlooking the mighty Mississippi River. It was once a bustling county seat with a courthouse, businesses, churches, and families who believed they had found a permanent home.
Few people remember it today.
That Prentiss disappeared beneath the Mississippi River.
Its story is one of determination, tragedy, and one of the most remarkable rediscoveries in Mississippi history.
A Town Called Wellington
The story begins in 1836, when a community known as Wellington was established along the eastern bank of the Mississippi River. Because of its location, the settlement quickly became an important stop for commerce and travel in the rich Delta region.
As the community grew, so did its importance. In 1852, Wellington was selected as the county seat of Bolivar County, bringing lawyers, merchants, government officials, and new businesses to town.
Only four years later, in 1856, the town received a new nameโPrentissโin honor of the famed Mississippi attorney and orator Sargent Smith Prentiss, whose speeches were admired across the nation.
Prentiss flourished. A handsome brick courthouse rose above the river, accompanied by a jail, stores, homes, hotels, and the Bolivar Times newspaper. Historian Franklin L. Riley later recorded that the town had approximately 200 residents, making it one of the Delta’s most promising communities.
When the River Became the Enemy
Life in Prentiss changed forever during the Civil War. Much of the town suffered destruction in 1863, but the people who remained were determined to rebuild.
Unfortunately, another battle had already begun.
The Mississippi River has never stayed in one place for long. Over time, the river gradually shifted toward Prentiss. As engineers improved navigation by cutting through nearby Beulah Bend, the current moved even closer to the town.
Year after year, the powerful river carved away at the high bluff.
First, the outer edges of town disappeared. Then homes began falling into the river. Businesses followed.
Eventually, even the courthouse stood too close to the crumbling bank.
By the early 1870s, Prentiss had been abandoned. The county seat moved elsewhere, and nature slowly buried the once-busy community beneath earth, mud, and layers of river silt.
Many believed it was gone forever.
The River Gives Up Its Secret
For more than eighty years, old Prentiss remained hidden beneath the bluff.
Then, in June 1954, the Mississippi River surprised everyone.
Following heavy erosion along the riverbank, two local men noticed a massive brick wall emerging from the earth. What they had discovered was part of the long-lost courthouse of old Prentiss.

The discovery quickly made newspapers across Mississippi.
Visitors traveled from miles away to see the forgotten courthouse with their own eyes. Some carefully climbed through the exposed walls and doorways while others searched the ground around the ruins.
Newspaper accounts described discoveries of family Bibles, personal letters, china, whiskey jugs, wine bottles, bricks, and pieces of leadโsilent reminders that families had once called this place home.
One elderly man who remembered Prentiss before it disappeared described a thriving town with brick stores, impressive homes, and a courthouse that proudly overlooked the Mississippi River.
For a short time, history stepped back into the daylight.
A Race Against Time
As news spread, historians rushed to document the remarkable discovery before nature erased it once again.
Dr. William D. McCain, director of the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, expressed interest in preserving the site and its history. Archaeologists, local officials, and curious visitors all realized they were witnessing something few people ever expected to see.
But the Mississippi River was still at work.
The same erosion that revealed the courthouse continued eating away at the bluff until the exposed brick walls collapsed once again.
Slowly, the courthouse disappeared beneath the earth.
For the second time, Prentiss was lost.

Could It Happen Again?
The Mississippi River is still changing.
Every year, it cuts new channels, reshapes banks, and uncovers pieces of history that have been hidden for generations.
Could another flood or another season of erosion one day reveal more of old Prentiss?
No one knows.
Perhaps another courthouse wall still stands beneath the earth.
Perhaps the foundations of homes, forgotten streets, or even more artifacts remain hidden beneath the bluff, waiting for the river to uncover them once again.
Until then, the first Prentiss remains one of Mississippi’s most fascinating forgotten placesโa town that disappeared beneath the Mississippi River, only to briefly return and remind us that history is never truly gone.
Sometimes…
it simply waits beneath the soil until the river is ready to tell its story again.
Sources:
Franklin L. Riley, Forgotten Towns & Villages of Bolivar County (1902)
Hattiesburg American, June 17, 1954, “Ole Man River Liberates Part of Ghost Town”
Clarion-Ledger (Jackson, Mississippi), June 17, 1954, “Ole Man River Uncovers Buried Ante-Bellum Town”
McComb Enterprise-Journal, June 22, 1954
Mississippi Department of Archives and History
Photos courtesy of The Delta State University Archives & Museum


































































































































